Wednesday, May 30, 2012

bimba :: design for kids (interview with Diana Barcsi)

I've been busy and it's been ages since I wrote on the blog last time, but I have something really special for you today. When I started this blog, something like this was one of the reasons. To give amazingly creative people from my part of the world a little publicity and do a small part in their launch into the world. And to have an excuse to talk to them.

 Today I am bringing you an amazing Hungarian designer
                                                                  



Who is Diana Barcsi?

I am a textile designer, I graduated from the University of Applied Arts, specializing in textile printing. I live in Budapest, Hungary with my 13-year old son, my 4-year old daughter and my husband.  

What is Bimba and where is the name coming from?

Bimba is coming from the word "pampi". When my son was little, he had a pillow he used to snuggle with all the time. He couldn't pronounce the Hungarian word "párna", which means pillow, so he named it "pampi". Since this little word had a "magic power" in our family I mixed and rotated the letters p a m p i , so the result is an Italian word b i m b a , which means little girl. So, Bimba connects both of my children to the stuff I make.  



How did it all start?

When I started university, my son was already 3 years old, and when I graduated, my daughter was 5 months old. So, children "left their mark" on most of my works. I also realized, that domestic design toys lack quality. After university I decided I wanted to make toys. I had an exam at that time where I had to design pictograms, so I made my first Bimba collection, called zoo-pictograms. Textile books, sleeping animals, pillows are made from them, but nowadays I create dolls, bags, textile jewellery, especially decorated with typical Hungarian motive, called "matyó" pattern.  

/



Tell us a little about your kids! Do they help you when you design? 

At first they helped me a lot, mainly my son, who was very helpful when I wrote my first nursery rhymes. He gave lots of idea regarding the characters as well. My daughter was a kind of "practical mentor" - she tested the finished toys. Unfortunately after a while they became immune to toys, because of a huge stock...  




Which part of the creative process do you like best when you work?

I love to cut the pattern and saw them. I am like an excited child looking forward to Santa, and opening the gifts.:) The same feeling overcomes me when I create a new pattern design, and make the first screenprint. I adore shopping for fabrics, paint, buttons, ribbons, etc. In general I love making toys altogether, from thinking up the design, to actually making it! ... I don't like marketing, but I'm trying to do my best!  



Do you have a 5-10-year plan, or do you just do it instinctively? 

So-so. I like to plan, but in practice I am an emotion based designer. I always feel what is needed for development and try to keep it up. Of course there are obstacles, but I enjoy to solve problems!:) So I go forward...it would be nice to have my own showroom/workshop, supply increase and more publicity.

Favourite Hungarian designers!

Kiskakas, Manuela, Schall Eszter, Picidia, Steiner Lídia, MaraFactory, Pucc, Esterda...  

Favourite foreign designers!

Kase-faz, Revoluzzza, Sassandperil, Marimekko, Jane Foster, and Scandinavian designers in general.

Thank you Dia!!!


Check out more of Bimba products on her website or blog, follow her on facebook, or go shopping here.




No comments:

Post a Comment